About this blog...

Food has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. Food and the festivities surrounding its arrival to the table has always been a focal point in our family. For many years I have been amassing the cookbooks, recipe cards, cooking journals, diaries, manuscripts and clipping files of our once extensive family.

Personally, I’ve been professionally involved with food for over 40 years in numerous and varied culinary capacities across the country so I also have the collected stories, as well as current and on-going food-related experiences from my own life I’d like to share.

My idea has long been that someday I would bring all of this marvelous raw material together into a culinary journey through our family’s heritage. This journal is the beginnings of that journey.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Preface to this Blog


Food has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember.  Food and the festivities surrounding its arrival to the table has always been a focal point in our family.
  For many years I have been amassing the dog-eared cookbooks, crumpled recipe cards, original cooking journals, over-flowing clipping files of our once extensive family.  I have also, since her death in 1970, been the care-taker and guardian of the brittle and yellowed folder containing my maternal grandmother’s handwritten, almost-finished, manuscript; the cookbook/memoir of her life growing up in the early 1900's on a Connecticut farm titled “Something Magic”.
My idea has long been that someday I would bring all of this marvelous raw material together into a culinary journey through of our family’s heritage.  This journal is the beginnings of that journey.
With the help of my sister Cynthia (the family archivist and globe-trotting culinary traveler in her own right) I have assembled numerous, international travelogues, family correspondences and a series of fascinating diaries from near the turn of the 19th century which discuss the many varied aspects of the growing, hunting, gathering, preparing and serving of food across the years.  In addition to these written treasures we have preserved numerous old photographs recording individual and family gastronomic gatherings, endeavors and achievements, as many as possible of which I will be presenting here over time along with a large number of our family’s treasured recipes.
Personally, I've been professionally involved with food for over 30 years in numerous and varied culinary capacities across the country so I also have the collected stories, as well as current and on-going food-related experiences from my own life I’d like to share here.
So please come join with me in retracing my ancestor’s footsteps across the years and down the fascinating culinary paths they walked.  Continue, then, the journey through to the present with me. I hope to make the trip interesting with something rewarding at every turn.  Perhaps, in reading of our family’s food journey you will find insights into the journeys of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment