Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2018

Food Truckin', a Shift in Menu Direction

My original vision of opening a fried chicken truck was fading.  The specialized equipment we had found we needed to accomplish our goals seemed impractical to install in a truck or trailer and I didn't want to just do fried wings, or tenders, or patties. By the time we figured all this out, we (and here I should probably start saying "I" as Kathryn was busy with our real job of running the dairy) had already caught the food truck bug.  Big-time.

I'm no dreamer. I'm a pragmatic. I knew that all those simplified and romanticized versions of the easy and glamorous life portrayed on movies and reality TV were not reality at all. I'd worked in restaurant kitchens for a long time so had a good idea of the life. Still, there was some undeniable appeal to the idea. I still wanted to give it a go.

Having all but completely scrapped the fried chicken menu idea, we started to discuss other options.  Maybe something a little healthier than fry-fry?

What about grilling? People think of grilling as healthier than frying. I'd been a restaurant line grill cook for years and was very comfortable cooking the style. It is, in fact, the style of cooking we primarily do at home.

There were plenty of menu possibilities with grilled foods. Nearly every cuisine and culture in the world has grilled foods among their specialties. And talk about history - people have been grilling food since we were living in caves!

Yep. Grilling might work well to base our menu on, so I began thinking of our new food truck concept as The Grill Truck

Researching all the possible different grilled foods out there was great fun.  I loved many of the foods and combinations I was learning about. I even came up with a catchy name for the truck (because you HAVE to have a catchy name for a food truck, right?)...
"Grillin N Chillin"
Pretty cool, right?

This was going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment